Thursday, February 24, 2011

in defense of justin

I know that this statement will open me up to extreme eye-rolling and ridicule.  But one of my new year's intentions was "that I will speak out loud what I'm thinking" more often.  And though a blog post isn't really "out loud," it's close enough!  So here it is:

I like Justin Bieber.

There, I said (wrote) it.  Commence with the eye-rolling and ridicule. 

I'll be the first to admit that I am no music aficionado.  I know very little about music, though I know enough to know that Justin Bieber is no Mozart.  I make no claims that his music is great art.  I have read much in recent weeks about how his infantile pop music is corrupting the young ears of a new generation, and I have read from proud parents about their kids who "know better."  Well, My Girl and My Boy don't know better.  And neither do I.  What we know is that our limited experience of his music (the 2 songs we have on the ipod) is just plain fun!

Justin Beiber - MTV Video Music Awards 2010photo © 2010 Philip Nelson (via: Wylio)It's our favorite music for family dance parties.  Yes, it's silly.  No, it's not ground-breaking musicianship.  But it's fun!  And I don't worry about my kids repeating the lines.  Now, maybe there's other music of his that is just plain awful.  I don't know.  But the fluffy pop music that I've heard is good enough for me and my (apparently) musically challenged kiddoes. 

And The Bieb held his own on the Grammy's.  Better than Usher, really.  And definitely Jaden Smith (what was that about?).

And if My Girl was aware enough of pop culture to realize that there's a Justin movie out right now and she really, really wanted to go - I'd take her.  And I'd enjoy it.

So my family and I will stand proud against the tide of scorn and say: We Like Justin!

But I am glad he finally got a haircut.  My goodness, that hair was ridiculous. 

Oh, and I also kinda like Taylor Swift. (I know, I know!)

2 comments:

  1. : ) I don't like him, because I don't really think he could sing if he were using that stupid autotune crap. But good for you for just loving it (says the queen of crappy horror movies). Sometimes, fluffy is good. Very, very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But he was discovered on YouTube without autotune :)! Actually, I don't mind autotune. If it makes 'em sound better and is therefore more enjoyable for me, then I'm happy. But he did sound OK at the Grammys - better than some others.

    And I think it's trendy and cool to love crappy horror movies, right? Which makes me the uncool one yet again ;). But fluffy is definitely very, very good sometimes (says the queen of the mystery novel).

    ReplyDelete