Wednesday, February 23, 2011

coexist?

Coexistphoto © 2006 Patrick Byrne (via: Wylio)
On the way to work this morning I followed a car with one of the above COEXIST bumper stickers.  You've probably seen them.  They seem to be very popular here (maybe everywhere?), but I never thought much about them until today.  I understand and support the impulse behind them - peace with one another, not war.  Even (especially) with those who are different.  Even (especially) with those who have different faiths.  But I have a problem with the word "coexist."

Dictionary.com defines the word:
1. to exist together or at the same time.
2. to exist separately or independently but peaceably, often while remaining rivals or adversaries: Although their ideologies differ greatly, the two great powers must coexist.
And there's my problem - "separately...independently...often while remaining rivals or adversaries."  While coexistence may be a necessary first step, it's hardly where I hope we end up.  Existing separately still allows us to live in our own sheltered enclaves, never trying to understand the "other."  Existing separately doesn't acknowledge the worth of the other.  Existing separately doesn't allow us to learn from each other.  Existing separately doesn't make room for reconciliation.  Existing separately is a step in the right direction, but it isn't good enough.

Peace - true peace - is more than lack of war.

But sometimes when I look at the news, even coexistence seems too lofty a goal.

Let me be clear: I am not suggesting we should subsume our own identities into a large mushy collective identity that waters down what we hold dear.  I, for one, can't water down my love for Jesus.  But I can value each person as a child of God.  I can get to know people who are different, seeking understanding, compassion, love.  I can listen to and learn from people of different faiths.  Yes, learn from.  We Christians don't have a monopoly on God, after all.

So what do I do about this yearning for more than coexistence?   What more should I do in my own sheltered little world where I am too often surrounded by people who look like me?

I don't know.  It's something I'm thinking about.  Praying about.  I know that I need to teach my children to love all people, but I also know that if I don't act that out, the impact isn't going to be very great.  I can study and believe all I want, but if it stays in my head, what, then, does it matter?

I'm glad that there are people working for peace and reconciliation on a grander scale than I can or know how to do.  I can support them, such as here or here.  But I have responsibility to do more than sign petitions or give money (though those are good things, too!).  I need to seek out new opportunities for community-building and peacemaking locally.  It's too easy to stay in my own little enclave.

But what about that bumper sticker?  I think there should be another bumper sticker with another word, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a good word.  There must be one!  The best I can think of is "Join With," but that doesn't have a good ring to it. 

Yesterday, My Girl read to me the Aesop fable "The Lion and the Mouse" as told and illustrated by Eric Carle.  At the end of the story, Carle wrote: "Friends come in all shapes and sizes." 

And colors.
And languages.
And income brackets.
And countries.
And faiths.

Friends.  Maybe that's a better word.

No comments:

Post a Comment