Wednesday, January 5, 2011

a new year

There's been lots of online chatter about new year's resolutions and anti-resolutions.  The chatter I've seen seems to lean toward the anti-resolution:  there's no point in making resolutions because we always fail so why bother.  I get this, and lean toward this myself most years, but there's something rejuvenating about hanging up a new calendar and imagining the possibilities for a new year.  It's a time of hopefulness, and that's something I want to hold onto.  The end of 2010 was a bit dark.  Not horrendously so, but there was a general feeling of tiredness and frustration and emotional exhaustion at our house.  There were bright moments, too - always there are bright moments - but the time as a whole was a bit dreary. 

Now, though, we've had a long holiday break, time with family and friends, time for fun and frivolity.  So as we begin this new year, I feel more ready to embrace it.  More hope.  And even though I never make New Year's Resolutions, this year I am going to set down some New Year's Hopes. 

My hopes for 2011:
  • that I will get up at 5:30 every morning (OK, not every morning, but maybe a few mornings a week) for prayer, scripture and yoga.  I began the yoga in 2010 but was a major slacker at the end of the year.  And this year My Man bought us a new prayer book (Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals) which I like very much, so I hope that the prayer/scripture aspect of the morning will improve greatly.
  • that I will pray and read scripture more with my children, and that I will encourage their creativity and independence.
  • that I will pursue a dream with a friend, without letting pessimism derail it.  Steps, baby, steps.
  • that I will work to build community where I can, and not be sad about lack of community other places.
  • that I will intentionally connect with far-away friends more regularly.  Pick up the phone, sister!
  • that I will organize the dining room and playroom so that they are more user friendly for us all (moving a craft/writing table into the playroom and reserving the dining room for more messy stuff). 
  • that I will clean as I go (hah! I know that hope is doomed).
  • that I will turn off the TV or put down the book or close the computer, and create more often.
  • that I will spend more time with my husband (sans kiddoes!).
  • that I will stop and notice the brightness all around.
  • that I will be a positive presence, less withdrawn, more open.  And along those lines, that I will speak out loud what I'm thinking more often.
OK, that's enough.  I could go on, I'm sure, but let's get a little real!  Happy 2011!

2 comments:

  1. Wishing you all the optimism and hope that a new year brings! May your hopes for 2011 be fulfilled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And the same to you, LauraB!

    ReplyDelete