Friday, January 7, 2011

light

Yesterday was Epiphany.  January 6 - the 12th day of Christmas.  I didn't grow up in a liturgical church tradition, so Epiphany was not something I'd ever heard of until I was an adult.  And then I thought it was just the day to remember the Wise Men.  Which it is, but there are lots of other remembrances and traditions also associated with the day (I checked Wikipedia - oh, my - my low church brain is spinning).  My favorite tradition listed: The Great Fruitcake Toss! 

Though we're relatively new to this liturgical stuff, especially as parents, My Man and I are trying to follow the church calendar as much as we can in our home.  We're learning as we go.  He particularly appreciates Kimberlee Conway Ireton's book The Circle of Seasons as a family resource.  I have yet to read it, but it's on my to-read list!

So for Epiphany this year, we took up the House Blessing tradition.  Using the liturgy from our new prayer book, we said a prayer for each room or area of our home.  The kiddoes began the blessing with us.  C started us off by writing 20CMB11 in chalk outside our front door (commemorating the year and the Wise Men - CMB being the initials of their traditional names).  Both kids stuck with us through the blessings of their own rooms, but then wandered off to their own pursuits while B and I finished.  I think this is something we'll try to make a family tradition.  Dedicating our home for purposes of hospitality and peace and rest and good work.  People who come to our front door may wonder about the grafitti, but it's a good reminder to us!











One other thing I did was to make a white paper star.  Then, using a modified idea from The Blue Room Blog, I wrote 12 words on pieces of paper.  Words like faith, community, radiance.  And after a brief prayer, I randomly picked one word and taped it to the star.  I plan to pick a new word each month.  My hope is that I will carry that word before me as I go, reminding me, challenging me, encouraging me.  My word for this month is "joy."  Perfect. 

As we enter this season of Epiphany, remembering the beginning of Jesus' life, the gifts given to him and the gifts he prepared to give, may we remember that the Light shines in and through us, and may we magnify that light.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment