Thursday, July 15, 2010

Mark, Day Seven (or eight...we'll call it seven)

So I finally missed a day of posting about Mark.  And I have no excuse - I just forgot!  I remembered as I was getting into bed at 11:30 (very late for me).  Oh well, I'm making up for it by reading a whole entire chapter today!  And then not blogging about the whole chapter because it's just too dang long.  But here are some small thoughts on Mark 4:
  • It begins with the Parable of the Sower (the one where seed gets scattered on various types of ground) and then Jesus' explanation of the parable.  This is one of those passages I've heard a gazillion times (that's Bright One's favorite number word right now - gazillion), and I don't have anything wise to say about it.  It's always seemed odd that Jesus says he teaches in parables so that the insiders will understand and the outsiders won't get it, but I must remember that in this case, the outsiders were the religious establishment who were plotting to destroy him.  So I guess it makes sense that he'd want to keep them guessing.  And he does explain the parables to his followers and disciples.  His slow disciples who seem to be a bit befuddled most of the time.  It must have been a crazy ride to be Jesus' friend. 
  • There are also some kingdom parables in this chapter (i.e. the kingdom of God is like a mustard seed).  I read a sermon about one of these parables a week or so ago and was completely moved by it so I'm just going to link to it:  here.  It's seriously beautiful.  Check it out.
  • And that's all for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment