Friday, August 13, 2010

lessons from an alcoholic

I've just finished the memoir Lit, by Mary Karr.  Great book, but you must slog through a lot of darkness to get to the light.  Thankfully, I kept at it, because it is ultimately a beautiful story of hope and redemption.  But without any sugary-sweetness.  No, "sweet" is definitely not the right word for it.  Bitter, sour, spicy...but not sweet. 

This is the story of Mary Karr's young adulthood (she's also written other books about her childhood and adolescence, but I haven't read those), which is consumed largely by her descent into alcoholism and her clawing climb out of it.  And in her ascent out of the darkness, she finds God (much to her own surprise) and finally converts to Catholicism. 

In this rather stressful week, I keep remembering bits of her story that struck me.  Here are some thoughts:
  • When you're consumed by your own pain and grievances, it's nearly impossible to recognize the good in your life (and the legitimate grievances of others).  That's why I started this blog - to intentionally remind myself of how much brightness there is in my life even when I start to feel consumed by worry or tension or frustration or anger or struggle.
  • Pray, even when you think you're just talking to emptiness.  Even when it seems utterly pointless or even selfish - pray. 
  • Take advice from those who have gone before you, even when that advice seems crazy.  Wisdom can come in seemingly wacky forms.
  • Community is our strength.  Mary was unable to drag herself out of alcoholism.  It took a community to hold her and care for her and give her tough love. 
  • When someone says, "Feel free to call me," do it.  Accept help.  And ask for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment