Monday, June 21, 2010

A Crafty Father's Day

This past week, my Elder Child and I actually did a couple of the art projects on my list. And they led perfectly into some Father’s Day gifts! Was this advance-planning on my part? Or just a divine gift? Perhaps a little of both, as I never plan too far ahead, but I do try to plan a little.

Our first project involved making wrapping paper! If you have ever received a gift from me at any time other than Christmas, it was probably wrapped in solid green paper (the only generic Christmas paper we have) or butcher paper the elder child has drawn on. You may think, “Ah, how crafty.” But really it’s just lack of advance planning. I NEVER have non-Christmas paper in the house. And I never remember this fact until the hour before we’re supposed to leave for the birthday party. So when I found this idea for making wrapping paper here (look in the comments section for the idea of using this art technique for wrapping paper), I pounced on it! Here’s what we did.

First, cover a large piece of cardboard with shaving cream. You could also use a big pan or even just your table – any flat surface will do. Just smear, smear, smear that shaving cream – this is incredibly therapeutic. I encourage you to join in with your kid! Then drop some liquid watercolor paint in the shaving cream and smear around again. The Elder One used a popsicle stick to smear the paint:


When it’s smeary enough for you (but not so smeary that it’s become a brown-grey blob), place a piece of large fingerpaint paper on the shaving cream. Now mash, mash, mash that paper down (also therapeutic). Lift up, and voila – smeary paper. Here’s the hardest part – scrape off the shaving cream. I first tried using a spatula, but it didn’t work well. I finally just used a paper towel.

The finished paper looked like this: 

And the finished present looked like this: 


We were pleased with our first attempt at making wrapping paper ahead of time!

Inside of that present was another arty project – this time done with both kids. The Younger Child is often leery of messy art, but this one even he was able to do (for a moment at least). Here are the kiddoes with their Dad and the modern masterpieces they made for him to hang on his office wall:

(Full disclosure: I actually did the splatter painting on the Younger’s masterpiece – it looked a little mushroom-cloudy beforehand, though sweet hubby says it looks like a tree. Even my art-interpretation leans toward worrying/pessimism – argh!  And does Daddy look a little tired here on Father's Day morning?  Too bad the kiddoes won't ever give us the sleeping-in present!).

The Elder One and I also collaborated in making some wall-hangings for Pops and Paw-Paw.  The Elder one drew pictures on white fabric with fabric markers, and then I sewed them with onto some more fabric and backing for a simple hanging.  But I forgot to take pictures before we gave them away!

I am very grateful for three wonderful fathers in my life:  my own great dad, my sweet husband-who-is-a-great-dad, and my great father-in-law.  My kids and I are multiply blessed to have such "bright" men in our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment