Tuesday, May 1, 2012

'round Roanoke


photo of Roanoke from Mill Mountain by taberandrew, flickr

When my mother came to visit us over Easter, she brought with her an article from her local Oklahoma paper...about Roanoke! Seriously...an Oklahoma paper picked ROANOKE as a nice tourist destination, putting it front and center in their living section, with a big picture of Hotel Roanoke above the fold.

Once I got over my shock (I'm a little surprised that anyone in Oklahoma had even heard of Roanoke!), I decided the article made a good point - Roanoke really does have some good things to offer. I've known this, and enjoyed a number of Roanoke-y things in the past couple of years, but I think there's much more to explore. And since I've declared that we can NEVER MOVE AGAIN, it seems like a good idea to find out more about my adopted home town.

I've never before had a home town. Ever. I don't know what it means to feel a place in your blood, not really. This isn't a bad thing. It makes my perspective wider, my experience broader. But if this town is the place I'm finally going to put down roots, then I'd better work on it, because I don't know how to put down roots, and I want to embrace this place for what it is as well as what it can be.

So beginning now, I'm setting a new goal (and we know how good I am at sticking to goals...hear the sarcasm):

I, Susan of Roanoke, shall attempt to experience one new Roanoke-y thing every week!

Every week! That's too much, I know. I'll never meet that goal, but I might as well aim big! And a disclaimer:  "Roanoke-y" shall include all things in the city and county of Roanoke as well as the surrounding area...anything I can reasonably get to and from in a day.

I've already made a start on this. We went with my in-laws to the Roanoker restaurant for breakfast this weekend. Despite the fact that I pass this restaurant every.single.day, I had never before stepped into it. And this was the restaurant that the Oklahoma paper declared THE BEST place for biscuits. So goodness, we needed to try out THE BEST biscuits! (they were very good, though I wouldn't personally call them THE BEST)

For the upcoming weekend, I'm hoping to go to Blacksburg for the first time ever (I can hear the gasp of dismay from the VT folks).

Then what shall be next? If you're local and have suggestions, let me know! I'm excited (and my homebody self is a little nervous) to step up our Roanoke adventure. What shall we see 'round Roanoke? What shall we experience? Who shall we know? (and why all the "shalls"?) I'm starting as a tourist, really, but I hope that over time it'll seep into my blood and become home.

2 comments:

  1. When you go to Blacksburg, this VT alum recommends you get a cheeseburger from Mike's Grill or get a gyro from Souvlaki.

    If it's a nice day, just go enjoy the Drill Field. It's the size of 7-8 football fields, and a great place to have fun.

    ReplyDelete