Thursday, August 11, 2011

thursday thankfulness

I find it difficult to read the news. I've been listening to NPR less and less. The incompetence, the tragedy, the stupidity, the despair, the feelings of helplessness and hopelessness - they overwhelm me.

My own incompetence and stupidity and despair and hopelessness - they overwhelm me, too.

And where is God in this? In the world? In me? I guess you could say I've been having a crisis of faith. I can tell you when it started, too - right in the middle of Lent. I suppose that's appropriate, except that Easter never came.

And yet, and yet...

Ann Voskamp says we should see the problem of good as well as the problem of evil. "If there is no God, why is there so much good?" (Augustine)

I am attuned to the problem of evil, but what about the problem of good? I don't notice it enough. Ironic, isn't it, that I named this blog "Bright Life" when I so often struggle to see the brightness. But I know that it's there. I know it. And I believe it will overcome the darkness. I choose to believe it. And I choose to name it. So here goes.

Some Thursday Thankfulness:
  • Majestic mountains that remind me to look up and around.
  • A small boy who puts his hand on my face.
  • A big boy who comes home with a smile on his face.
  • A girl who forgives.
  • Kids who play and play and play together.
  • A boy who is serious about his dancing.
  • Knobby, multi-colored tomatoes.
  • An unexpected breeze.
  • A new kitchen toy.
  • A family that enjoys being together.
  • A girl who hugs with abandon.
  • A small kitchen.
  • Hope for tomorrow (and today).
  • People, many people, who work to help the least of these.
  • Education opportunity.
  • Supportive husband.
  • Huge hibiscus flower.
  • White puffy clouds.
  • Safety net.
  • A movie that makes me laugh and cry.
  • True love - not the kind that waits, but the kind that is ever-present.

1 comment:

  1. Funny, I recently posted about thankfulness too. I think you and I may be quite alike. :) Sometimes one thankful thought is a lifeline. Let me encourage you to hang on! (By the way, I love the "knobby, multi-colored tomatoes. :) )

    ReplyDelete