Friday, October 14, 2011

a big week

This past week was a big one for My Girl. First, she pulled out a tooth in gym class and came home with a goofy gappy grin! I wish I'd had a camera as she came off the bus. Her wide, silly smile was priceless.

Then she scored a goal in her soccer game! Now, it was one of about 10 goals (her team was definitely dominating this week), but it was still a goal. And I missed it. Again! I missed her first ever goal because I was stuck at a meeting. I missed this second one because I was on the playground with The Boy, who can't handle sitting through a soccer game, especially when there's a playground within sight. So, alas, no picture of the triumph, but still very exciting.

The biggest news of all: She learned to ride a bike!!! I really was beginning to think this day would never come. She's always been extra-scared about anything that makes her feel unsteady, but I was afraid that this time we'd met our match and weren't going to be able to coach her through it. Finally, I bribed her. Yes, yes I did. I told her I'd give her $10.00 if she learned. Then it took her two days. Should've tried that last year! But actually, since the spring I've been having her "scoot" across our carport on her bike - just scooting with her feet on the ground, not putting her feet on the pedals. I think this did make a difference. It helped her feel comfortable on the bike. Helped her feel like if she started to fall, she could put her foot down and stop the bike from crashing (before she would just try to hop off it completely). The extra feeling of control meant that when I finally let go of the bike as she was riding it for real, she didn't freak out, or even initally notice. I'm so proud! Proud of us both :).


And finally, her second grade performance was this week. She was one of 8 kids with short speaking parts, and she was the only one who didn't read hers, I think, and she said it with bright enthusiasm. During the songs, she danced and did motions with great spirit. And when her class read the story of "The Tortoise and the Hare" on tape, she was the one who read with the most expression. And her picture of her scene was also one of the best:

So I know I'm being an annoying, braggy mom. But I really am proud of My Girl. Proud of her accomplishments in the face of fear. Proud of her artistic and dramatic talent. Proud of her undaunted spirit despite the challenges she faces. We drive each other crazy sometimes, but I am so very thankful that God gave her to our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment