Thursday, March 31, 2011

simplicity

Simplicity is...photo © 2010 Andrei Bocan (via: Wylio)
This week at church, the Lenten focus is on the discipline of simplicity.  My first thought when My Man told me about it was, "Oh, I've got that one down."  In comparison to many in our community, we're pretty simple - no smart phones, no cable, no new clothes (except for underwear, socks and gifts, of course!), very little travel, very little eating out or going to the movies, very few new toys or books.  Much of the "stuff" in our house is mis-matched hand-me-downs.  And even the newer stuff looks like it was a yard-sale find (two kids)!  Pottery barn, we are not.  But does all that have anything to do with simplicity?

I think not.  I think it has to do with living within our means.  And we still have two lap-tops and wireless.  Two cars.  Two cell phones.  A home with a mortgage that is full of stuff.  Food of all kinds.  Appliances of all kinds.  Lots of toys and art supplies.  Though our lifestyle might seem "simple" in comparison to some of the lifestyles around us, that's just because of where we live. 

None of this has anything to do with spiritual discipline.  What, then, is the spiritual discipline of simplicity?  I am, alas, going to miss the sermon this week so I won't get the answer there!  I tried googling it.  Yes, Google.  And found very little.  Some general pronouncements of living lightly on the Earth and not allowing our possessions to own us.  But what does that mean??  How does living simply draw us closer to God?  Because living simply is not simple.

I hypothesize that the lack of Google info on simplicity as a spiritual discipline is at least partly because our culture is so at odds with simplicity.  Schedules, houses, vacations - they're all full of stuff.  What does it mean, then, for us in this culture right here right now, to live simply?

Is it an ecological thing?  Taking care of the Earth?  Living lightly, conserving resources, supporting local business.  All noble, noble goals that we should be involved in, but is that simplicity?  It's certainly not simple.  As one who bakes bread, I can wholeheartedly affirm that it is much simpler (and probably cheaper) to just buy a loaf of pre-sliced bread off the shelf! 

Is it a financial thing?  Being careful with money so that there is enough - both for ourselves and for others.  Being thoughtful about what we buy.  Purchasing sustainable goods, and only those that we really need or add something meaningful to our lives.  And getting rid of the goods (and services) that don't meet that criteria.  Is that simplicity?  It's certainly not simple. 

Is it a time thing?  Allowing for free, unfettered time.  Intentionally working in jobs that allow such time.  Refusing to schedule too much - for either us or our kids.  But when we have that time, what do we do with it?  Making the most of time - that is not so simple. 

I cannot be a Radical Homemaker.  I have to work.  I don't want to get rid of all my stuff.  I don't want to hang all our laundry on a clothesline.  I find it difficult to buy all organic and/or local.  I wish we were able to go out to eat or to a movie any time we were asked or wanted to.  If we were able, I'd go to Disney World in a heartbeat. 

What, then, is simplicity as a spiritual discipline for me?  In what way can I live more simply such that it draws me (and my family) closer to God? 

Lots of questions today.  I should read Richard Foster, I guess.  I was just hoping for an easier, faster, simpler answer ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment