Wednesday, June 6, 2012

'round Roanoke update

It's been more than a month since I declared:

I, Susan of Roanoke, shall attempt to experience one new Roanoke-y thing every week!

Well, I can't say I've lived up to this declaration. Partly because I got sick with a horrible cold that made me want to sleep all day (and cough all night) so I had no energy for exploring for a couple weeks. But now that the cold is gone, we have done some "Roanoke-y" things that we've really enjoyed!

We finally hiked up to Peaks of Otter (the tip-top of a mountain). We cheated - we didn't hike all the way but took the bus most of the way and only walked the last 1500 feet, but that was perfect. It was enough hiking to enjoy the wildflowers and the rocky overlooks, but not so much that we were miserable or whiny. We ate our lunch at the top, and then hiked back down. I was, however, reminded that I am somewhat scared of heights. I'm fine if I feel secure, but being near an edge where it feels like I (or my child) could fall over makes me feel nauseous. No tightrope walking for me!
Tippy-top of Peaks of Otter
You can't see all the little gnats flying around our faces!
We also enjoyed walking and biking on the Roanoke Greenway from Wasena Park to Smith park. The kiddoes loved playing on the playgrounds and the new greenway fitness equipment. We all enjoyed flinging/skipping rocks in the river, and the kids managed to ride their bikes on the trail without knocking anyone over! 

We've been blessed with some beautiful weather, and I've loved being outside with no real agenda other than enjoying the day and noticing the beauty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment