Monday, April 2, 2012

Godly play: palm Sunday

Hosanna! Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!

I love the palms. And the praise. And the donkey. And the subversiveness of our Lord. But there is an undercurrent of both mania and tragic sadness in this story. Oddly enough, it reminds me a bit of the Hunger Games this year - cheering for the one who will die.

But I did not draw that connection for my children. I stuck to the script! Here's our very simple road to Jerusalem and our posterboard Jesus. (For a more fabulous picture of what a Palm Sunday story can look like, check out Watkins Every Flavor Bean.).



Also pictured in the top picture are our prayer pots, which now contain a heart (to remind us that God loves us always), a bean (to remind us that God helps us grow), a bandaid (to remind us that God helps us when we hurt) and a coak and palm branch (to remind us to praise God).

Below the road to Jerusalem is pictured a Holy Week family devotional guide which My Man organized for our children's ministry at church. I think it's pretty fabulous. For each day of Holy Week, there's a one-page devotion with Scripture, some kind of physical item (like a palm leaf for Palm Sunday or coins for clearing the Temple) and a question for the family to consider for that day.

In addition to the daily family devotion guide, I hope to tell the Maundy Thursday Godly play story (which includes Good Friday) and the Easter story this week. This is going to be a busy week, so I'm frankly unsure if I'll manage to get it all together, but I hope so.

May we walk in the footsteps of Jesus this week.

4 comments:

  1. Where did you get a script? I have been doing Godly Play for 4 years, but I cannot find a script for the Palm Sunday story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found it in "Young Children and Worship." Great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know if this is available anywhere on-line? I've ordered the book but it won't arrive in time for Palm Sunday and I'd love to use the lesson. Thanks for any help you can provide!

      Delete