Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Voice

I was privy to a church staff meeting (because it was at my house - just planning, no confidential stuff) that involved the staff working on an upcoming worship series they're basing on The Voice, that singer competition reality show. I must've rolled my eyes a dozen times at the concept (I don't care for the show or for the relating it to worship) before it hit me - that's my word for 2012. I guess I didn't connect the two because they seem so far removed from each other - the title of a reality show and my scary desire to have a louder voice. I didn't even hear that they were the same word.

The focus of the worship series is different than my own focus. The worship series (as I understand it) will focus on hearing the Voice of God and responding to that Voice.

I, on the other hand, am just trying to have a voice. Not the Voice of God(dess), just my own voice.

It would be nice to hear the Voice of God/dess, though. That Voice can be so hard to distinguish from all the other voices, even voices claiming to be That Voice. Maybe if I heard The Voice better, then I would be more confident in my own voice. Or maybe not. If Scripture is a reliable guide, then sometimes the Voice of God/dess asks you to do crazy things (poor Jeremiah). I'm not really in the market for crazy; I just want to be less scared.

I want to hear the Voice that whispers words of beauty and strength and care for the world. I want to hear the Voice that winds its way through the valleys and the mountains and the arid places. Most of all, I want to hear the Voice that is for me, the One that roots me to the earth and stretches out my fingertips.

I say a prayer each night for My Girl, that God will be before her and beside her and behind her and within her, showing her the Way. That's The Voice I want to hear.

And maybe, just maybe, if That Voice tells me something crazy, I'll be open to hearing it.

So perhaps this year I'll modify my focus. Instead of "I want to work on my voice," I'll say:
I want to have a voice, and I want to hear The Voice.

And maybe I'll roll my eyes a little less during that sermon series. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment