Friday, September 23, 2011

biologically determined?

I told my husband that my goal for school this go-round was passing, not perfection. That's a crock of $#*@.

I wish it were true. Really I do. But I seem to be biologically (environmentally?) incapable of letting things slide when it comes to school. I don't have this problem in other areas of my life (witness my house), but for some reason school brings out the perfectionist in me.

Which is freakin' frustrating.

If I had the kind of time I had at Duke, then sure, no problem. Strive for perfection, fine. That GPA isn't ultimately very important, but if you're capable of nerdiness, then why not use it? But this go-round, I do not have the same kind of time. I begin my day's work at 6 in the morning and often don't stop until 10 in the evening. Now, by "work" I include things like cooking and cleaning and monitoring homework and a few minutes of actual playing with kiddoes (not just paid work and school), so I don't mean for it to sound like my life is a weary grind of work-work. The pace is full but manageable. But it is full. There's not much extra time during the week. So sometimes it would be helpful if I could be satisfied with less-than-best schoolwork.

But I can't! I don't seem to know how. Is it because school was the one thing I was always good at? In most other areas of life, I was mediocre. Sports, art, music, leadership, etc. I was generally OK at things, but rarely very good at them. Except for school. Maybe I derived too much self-esteem from my grades. But now? Really? I'm STILL there? Must I really still be the class nerd?

And unfortunately, I see these tendencies in my daughter.  My daughter who used to write with such free-spiritedness. My girl who could not write her spelling words in a straight line last year and wrote the largest letters in the class is now suddenly obsessed with perfect handwriting. Oh, the tears and drama over the cursive handwriting sheet! And I missed the drama when she realized she missed 2 on her reading test and only made a 90 (daddy got that one)!

*sigh* I wish I could teach her to not worry so much. I wish I could teach myself. And to a certain extent, I have. I don't worry about grades so much, but I still must do my best. I just hope it doesn't take My Girl so long to get past the worry. But the apple doesn't fall far...

No comments:

Post a Comment